Click here to download the 2019 Scavenger Hunt Map
2019 Santiam Canyon Scavenger Hunt
July 4th – July 6th
Kimmel Park, Mill City
471 SE Fairview Street
Click here to check in on Facebook!
Players – Win $250 cash!
The Santiam Canyon Scavenger Hunt is a family friendly event where you seek out local businesses to earn tickets for a $250 cash prize – plus over $700 in gift cards and other prizes! There is no entry fee for players!
The North Santiam Chamber of Commerce invites you to tour the Santiam Canyon River Country and learn more about the local businesses that create our dynamic community!
The Scavenger Hunt happens over three days, so you’ll have time to visit more businesses and earn more raffle tickets. You are not required to purchase anything, but you might find that you want to purchase a few things!
So, how does it work?
First, you need a map. You can pick up a map at the 4th of July Celebration in Mill City at Kimmel Park. Alternatively, you can print a map from this webpage, once it’s posted online on Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019.
Once you have your map, you can start earning tickets to win! Here’s how:
- Walk through the vendors at the 4th of July Celebration at Kimmel Park! This is the best route for very young children. If they can write, they can play!
- Take a walking tour around the City of Mill City and visit the participating business and non-profit organizations. For each stop you make, you earn more raffle tickets!
- Hop in your car (or carpool) and take a scenic small town drive through the cities of Stayton, Lyons. The farther you go from Kimmel Park, the more raffle tickets you’ll earn for each location that you visit!
- Jump on Facebook and discover a few places on social media! Since some of our businesses are home based, you can find them online, while you earn more raffle tickets!
- Those who are over 21 years of age are invited to play in the Over 21 Game, which includes establishments that serve age appropriate consumables.
Ok, so I’ve got my map, and I went to a bunch of awesome businesses. How do I win?
To win the $250 cash prize, you must be present at the Grand Prize Ceremony on Saturday, July 6th, 2019 at 3pm at Kimmel Park in Mill City.
You do not need to be present to win one (or more) of the over $700 in gift certificates and other prizes. Just like many other raffles, you’ll just need to put your name on your ticket and we’ll contact the winning ticket holders. And since the gift certificates and other prizes are donated by the participating businesses, you might find yourself to be the lucky winner of some free stuff at your favorite store!
Here’s how to play in five easy steps:
- Pick up a map at Kimmel Park, or print it online,
- Visit vendors and local businesses,
- Bring your map back to Kimmel Park,
- Get raffle ticket(s) for each location that you visited,
- Attend the Grand Prize Drawing at Kimmel Park to win the $250 cash prize! If you can’t attend, we’ll contact you to let you know if you won one of our daily prize drawings!
This event is sponsored by:
2019 Participating Businesses
Sandy Lyness Real Estate Investments, LLC
Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace
Ink Spot Printing
Mill City Subway
Santiam Medical Clinic
Mill City Dental
Santiam Sports Center
Fur Sure Outfitters
Santiam Towing and Recovery
Youth Benefit Golf Tournament
Davison Auto Parts, Mehama
Evelyn Joe’s Farmhouse Cafe
Gene’s Meat Market
Lyons Post Office
City of Lyons
Weddle Funeral Home
Tessa Moore LMT
Wanna Yoga LLC
The Hair Konnection
LuLaRoe – Kellie Dunleavy
Mill City Grill
Save Our Bridge
Glaslady’s Stained Glass
Your Country Kitchen
City of Mill City
Poppa Al’s Hamburgers
Upward Bound Camp
Scentsy – Sandra Thompson
White Water Signs & Graphics
KYAC 94.9 Community Radio
Mill City Pharmacy
City of Detroit
Debra and Don’s Crafts
Focus Heating and Construction
The Canyon Weekly
Canyon Custom Creations
CKM Photography/Heavenly Treasures
Melting Pot Candy
Tracy’s Hair Jewels
Business and Organization Participants – Registration is now closed for the 2019 game!
You must register by June 24th to be listed on the map.
- Players will come to your location
- You will give them an answer to your question
- They will use that answer to earn a raffle ticket for a $250 cash prize!
Businesses and groups in the North Santiam Canyon are invited to participate! This program is just one way that the North Santiam Chamber of Commerce is working to bring awareness of our local community and it’s thriving businesses and non-profit groups. You do not have to be a Chamber member to participate, although we do appreciate your support. To join the Chamber, visit www.nschamber.org/join
A few ways that you can make this especially memorable for your players (and future customers):
- Hand out small candies to each player, like chocolates
- Require them to learn a short dance, or memorize your slogan
- Ask them to like your Facebook page for a chance to win your own drawing
- Hand out coupons or flyers to promote events or sales that happen during the slower off-season
Sponsorships: Help us create a great event!
- Your display advertisement or logo prominently displayed on Page 1 of the player map (here)
- Your logo on all printed advertising, digital advertising and other marketing materials
- Your logo on all flyers
- Your logo on all road signs (10)
- Your logo on all business registration sheets
- Your organization’s information displayed prominently at the 4th of July event booth
- Opportunity for your representative(s) to assist in the entire prize award give away ceremony
- Your display advertisement or logo printed on Page 2 of the player map (here)
- Your organization name on all printed advertising, digital advertising and other marketing materials
- Your organization name on all flyers
- Your organization name on all business registration sheets
- Recognition as the $250 Cash Prize Sponsor in all printed and digital marketing materials
- Opportunity for your representative(s) to assist in the $250 cash prize award give away
Terry Miller takes home $250 cash from the Scavenger Hunt
First annual event brings families together to learn about local businesses
Congratulations to Terry Miller of Mill City, who won the grand prize $250 cash at the first annual Santiam Canyon Scavenger Hunt! Over 35 other prizes were also given away, ranging from a $140 raft trip from eNRG Kayaking, to $50 at Poppa Al’s, to over $100 in hair services from salons around the canyon area.
“The Santiam Canyon Scavenger Hunt was a big success!” said Michelle Gates, who organized the event with the support of the North Santiam Chamber of Commerce. “We saw quite a few people who had come together as a family and played the entire route.”
Gates said that there were 41 locations around the Santiam Canyon, and even some on Facebook. Players reported that it took anywhere from two to three hours to visit every business. “That’s a lot of time to learn about the canyon business community!”
Gates said that while some people only played the route at Kimmel Park, which included the vendors at the River City Music and Art Jamboree, a lot of other players went the distance. “Almost 75% of the players traveled to Lyons, Mill City and Gates for the Scavenger Hunt.”
“Even more impressive is that almost half of the players went to the majority of the businesses.” April Hall and Eddy Hall were the first to find all of the answers in the game, and the first to return their maps back to Kimmel Park.
People of all ages came to play, from as far away as Salem and Jefferson. The youngest player was 8 years old, and the oldest was 90 years old. Gates said that one youth in particular spent most of the day searching for answers, and was rewarded with several prizes at the end of the game. “I watched him running back and forth all day – he was really working! So I was happy to see that his raffle ticket numbers come up a couple of times during the prize drawing.”
The prize drawing was held at 6:15pm at the main stage on Saturday during the River City Music and Art Jamboree, and families packed into the covered seating area while they eagerly checked their tickets in anticipation of winning the $250 cash prize. This took some time, since one player could get up to 91 tickets for playing the whole route. “Thankfully we had some great helpers during the prize ceremony,” said Michelle Gates. “I want to thank Micah Keto, Jackie Shaw, Sandy Lyness and Linn County Commissioner Will Tucker for helping with the mixing, drawing and announcing of the ticket winners.”
An important part of the game was to help bring more exposure and awareness to the canyon business community, said Gates. “We’re still in the process of getting feedback from our participating businesses. A survey will be sent out to them in the coming week. I can say that Rex Images Promotions reports that they had 30 people stop by their shop on Saturday as part of the Scavenger Hunt. That’s not a bad return, in exchange for a $20 donation to the game!”